Friday, December 18, 2015

Reflections: Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief

My oldest daughter, Emma, is a huge fan of Rick Riordan's series of adventures, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, which takes place in a contemporary setting but uses classic Greek characters and events to populate it.  (Emma recommended The Lightning Thief as a worthwhile summer read earlier this year).  I must admit I don't normally have much interest in books such as the Percy Jackson series, but I wanted to fulfill a long-time request from Emma to finally read it. 

Overall I enjoyed The Lightning Thief for what it was.  In fact, at times I find the writing quite good, even witty, but it always came back to the genre it knew it was.  The characters, being pre-teens, are sometimes irritating and the choices they make can be downright stupid.  Yet, the target audience for a book like The Lightning Thief won't be perturbed by the same problems as I would be.  In the end, books like these are simple, straightforward adventures, and most ten year old readers are pretty okay with that.

As would be expected, after having finished the first of the Percy Jackson books Emma was eager to know if I would continue to read the series.  Perhaps.  As mentioned, books like these don't usually pique my interest, but I could see myself reading them so I can talk to Emma about them.  Aside from that, I don't have much interest.  The mysteries and questions left lingering at the end of The Lightning Thief are fun enough to explore and Riordan has obviously made a nice living for himself doing just that.  Emma will more than likely keep he and his family fed for some time; at least, until she grows up a bit more and craves adventures that look and feel a little bit different than something like The Lightning Thief.  I certainly don't want to rush that day, and it was fun to read Percy's first adventure so I could discuss it with a fellow avid reader.

Other Topics of Interest:
Reflections: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
What Should a 9th Grader Read?
3 Reasons Why We Need and Love Stories

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed the series during college. They were a nice change of pace compared with many of the books had to read for class. Definitely meant for preteen, but anyone looking for very easy to read (something to read to a child even) should consider these books.

    ReplyDelete