Saturday, February 7, 2015

Reflections: Who Moved My Cheese?

In the professional world, who hasn't heard of Spencer Johnson's Who Moved My Cheese?  The book's title is referenced in a variety of situations, sometimes out of context.  I've heard the phrase repeatedly over the years and came across a very cheap copy of it at Goodwill.  I've given it a read and now have no idea what all the fuss is about.

Who Moved My Cheese? is, in my opinion, a very juvenile book.  Perhaps its accessibility is one reason why so many have found value in it, but I found it to be silly.  It's not necessarily that its ideas are silly; rather, the presentation is childish and pandering.  I was often shaking my head in disbelief as I was the reading book wondering why so many have heaped so much praise on it. 

The book's brevity, another asset for its accessibility, allows a reader to finish the book in a few hours of semi-attentive reading.  And, as always, there is a suggestion to read the book multiple times to truly appreciate what the book has to say.  (The more professional books I read the more I annoyed I become with the authors who want you to treat their book like it's some kind of additional canonized scripture).  I was glad the book was short because that I meant I could move on.  I didn't want to spend any more time with it than was absolutely necessary.

Who Moved My Cheese? is a quick and mostly vapid read.  Are the ideas valuable?  Sure.  But when they're presented in such a juvenile way, the book should be marketed to children and not to working professionals.

Other Topics of Interest:
Reflections: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
Reflections: How to Win Friends and Influence People
Reflections: The Wisdom of Teams

No comments:

Post a Comment