Monday, January 13, 2014

Reading Goals for 2014

I'm a simple guy with a simple goal.  I have a yearly goal of reading 24 books each year--two a month.  I beat that goal by a few last year and even more the year before that.  (I probably could have read more but lost focus a few times).  I think 24 books in a year is reasonable considering the multitude of other demands I have in my life.  However, I know it's not a particularly impressive goal compared with others'.  (I personally know of two people who have a goal of reading 50 books in 2014).

In addition to wanting to read 24 books in 2014, I also want to get to a few books I've been meaning to for years but haven't.  I would love to finally read J.R.R. Tolkien's The Fellowship of the Ring.  I want to read more about the Reformation.  It's a period of history that has fascinated me, and I haven't spent enough time in it.  There are dozens of books on my Wish List that maybe I'll finally get to this year, including: Nudge by Richard H. Thaler and Cass R. Sunstein, Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston, R is for Rocket by Ray Bradbury, or The Theory of Moral Sentiments by Adam Smith.  There are a bunch more, but 12 months comes by awfully fast.

Granted, when you're only reading 24 books in a year the goal of 1,000 looks pretty daunting, but it's a slow and steady thing for me.  I'll get there eventually and continue on afterward.  And I plan on learning something from every book along the way.

What do you plan on reading this year?

Other Topics of Interest:
Best Books of 2013: Non-Fiction
Best Books of 2013: Fiction
What You Don't Know is the Reason

2 comments:

  1. I definitely encourage you to read 'The Fellowship of the Ring', I just finished it a couple of days ago and I absolutely loved it. I'm reading the second part (the Two Towers) in the next two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan on reading as many books as I can stand to read. And I'll be writing a few too.

    ReplyDelete