Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Reflections: Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer

Brad Howes shares his thoughts on John Grisham's Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer:

"Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer is actually the first John Grisham book I've ever read. Maybe it was the years of law school that steered me clear of Grisham's legal fiction...or maybe it was just that every Grisham book I had heard of was written for the adult reader. Thankfully, for readers like myself (who live and die for young adult fiction), Grisham decided to try his hand at entertaining the next generation (or those who enjoy reading their books).

I've said it once and I'll say it over and over -- the reason I love young adult fiction is because I can finish a book in a few days and don't have to go back and re-read or think too hard. Sure, I love a good thinker book every now and then, but books are my escape, my relaxation. What I'm trying to say is that I finished Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer in about three days and that Grisham is a heck of a writer. Theo Boone is the son of two lawyers -- 'Kid thinks he's a lawyer. Knows every cop, every judge, every court clerk. Hangs around courtrooms, probably knows more law than most lawyers.' Theo Boone is also just thirteen. That doesn't stop him from becoming enthralled with the town's biggest trial ever. But Theo transitions from enthralled to heavily involved without meaning to. He's faced with decisions that lawyers and judges don't often face. With help from his parents and his Uncle Ike, Theo becomes a hero in an unlikely way.

The book doesn't come to a resolution until about page 255 of 263, which I enjoy; however, it was quite brief. This leads me to believe that the second book, Theodore Boone: The Abduction, picks right up where Kid Lawyer left off. In fact, I'm headed to pick up The Abduction tomorrow (as well as The Accused to save me a trip to the library). This is a great read and I anticipate the others will be just as good. Ultimately, it doesn't inspire me to read Grisham's adult fiction, but mainly because I enjoyed the superficial discussion of legal theory and courtroom antics that is probably unique to the Theodore Boone series."

No comments:

Post a Comment