Saturday, November 24, 2012

Reflections: A War of Gifts: An Ender Story

Adam C. Zern opines on Orson Scott Card's A War of Gifts:

"What does Christmas look like in the Ender universe?  I wasn't quite sure what I was getting when I bought A War of Gifts: An Ender Story (not to be confused with 'A Christmas Story'), but when I finally realized that it was actually a Christmas story set in the Ender universe I was quite pleased.  A War of Gifts is really a glorified short story, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Someone could actually enjoy the book if they had only read Ender's Game since it takes place during Ender's time at Battle School.  Like the other stories presented in Ender's universe, there are some interesting ideas to grapple with and ponder.  I thought it was a creative way of exploring the 'true meaning' of Christmas.  And, as always in Card's Ender books, I was eager to get to know and understand the characters presented.

Is A War of Gifts a cheap cash-in on Card's part?  I don't think so.  I think Orson Scott Card really loves his Ender universe and the characters that inhabit it, but so do I.  I keep coming back to the Ender universe, even for its one-off Christmas stories, because I'm consistently entertained and every now and again enlightened."

No comments:

Post a Comment