Sunday, January 29, 2012

Reflections: Mockingjay

Adam C. Zern opines on the finale of The Hunger Games trilogy - Mockingjay:

"Books don't seem to have the same chronic issue that many film franchises have when it comes to their sequels being of less quality then the originals.  The Hunger Games trilogy seems unique in my mind because the first book is a very distinct experience.  The second and third book had to move the story forward and as the series continues the less and less it resembles the first book, although the author intelligently perpetuates themes and motifs from the first book.

Mockingjay is a fantastic finale for the trilogy and a wonderful book.  The characters are set in the greatest Hunger Games of all: war.  The stakes are irreversibly high, life and death.  Tragedy is inevitable.  The last 100 - 150 pages of the books is a whirlwind of drama and brutality.  In fact, I was a little worried when, with only a few pages left, the trilogy's main character seemed nearly beyond repair, physically and mentally.  However, the author expertly transforms what could have been a depressing and disheartening conclusion into a beautiful and refined one.

In my opinion, Mockingjay is without a question the best book in The Hunger Games trilogy.  It doesn't simply conclude the main plot of the series and the ancillary character story lines, it explores meaningful themes and subject matters and culminates into a personal and touching commentary on the human spirit.  I loved Mockingjay, and I would recommend the entire Hunger Games trilogy on its merits alone."

3 comments:

  1. I have to say that I don't think she makes it a beautiful ending, in the sense of "happy ever after". I think the point is that Katniss, in many ways, is beyond repair. The last, tragic death of an important character changes the entire meaning of the series from an epic adventure of good vs. evil, to being about the tragedies of bad government and war. The point IS that there are certain things that can't be repaired. I thought the ending had a good balance of how there is a way to live on and enjoy what you have, but that there is still a lack in who someone once was because of what they experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your comments are fair. The "beautiful" ending I referenced was not the traditional "happily ever after." Rather, I consider the ending of Mockingjay beautiful because it mends, as much as possible, what was so totally broken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your review completely. I am a total literature snob, and it is difficult for me to speak positively about very much of the fiction written today. Of the three books, although few agree, the last one was the best without a doubt. As a lit snob, I consider Mockingjay the only one of the three that even has a chance of transcending the label of "pop-fiction." I felt like I was reading a real book. The first two were entertaining enough, but they were overall hollow of the human element, the stuff that great literature is made of. Mockingjay invited me as a human reader into a universally, effectual human experience, and it played the part of emotional hostess like a Greek.

    ReplyDelete