Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Best Books of 2011

Adam C. Zern offers his thoughts on the best books he read in 2011:

When I say "best" I don't necessarily mean the best written, or the best story, or the best prose, or the best themes, etc . . . I'm only attempting to identify two books, one fiction and one non-fiction, that were the most memorable, the most compelling, and the most entertaining for me personally.

Non-Fiction - A Conflict of Visions by Thomas Sowell
It wasn't hard for me to decide which non-fiction book I liked the most from last year.  Thomas Sowell's A Conflict of Visions was simply superb.  I have recommended the book to many, many people since reading it, and I will continue to do so.  It is a book that deserves to be read.  Its compare and contrast and explanation of ideology is, as far as I have read thus far, without parallel.  I knew a good deal about ideology and political theory before reading Mr. Sowell's book but reading it was a revelation.  I recommend it without reservation.



Honorable Mentions:
The Candy Bombers by Andrei Cherny
The Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayek
Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War by Nathaniel Philbrick


Fiction - Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Attempting to determine the best work of fiction I read last year was a little more difficult.  I eventually decided on Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn because of its creativity and compelling story.  Sanderson has created characters, a universe, conflicts, and a magic system that is wonderfully creative.  Certainly the book, and the series for that matter, has some classic fantasy elements that are easily recognizable.  Yet, I never felt the book was being cheap.  It's well-thought, deliberate, and I was thrilled to have come across Mistborn because it gave me a new trilogy, and universe, to really sink my teeth into.



Honorable Mentions:
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

1 comment:

  1. Sanderson made the list? Nice. You know I have plenty of recommendations. I don't really read nonfiction but Sowell seems interesting.

    ReplyDelete